• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Introducing Team Isetta

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee
Hello all, my name is Brian Powers and I’d like to introduce myself and “Team Isetta.” I was a regular on the Spridget part of this Forum for a year or so, and have now stepped into the "other" world. I feel like I've left a group of real friends back there.
A little background will be helpful if you’ll bear with me.
I had been teaching in a small school in the Sierra Nevada foothills of Northern California for ten years or so, when two of my long time students asked if I would be willing to teach them about cars. They wanted to learn, not only how they worked, but how to work on them as well. Following a remarkable series of coincidences and windfalls, four of the young ladies and I bought a 58 Bugeye as a tub and 21 boxes of unlabeled parts.

To keep this short, the story is worth checking out at https://www.morethanthecar.com/

Team Sprite was such an enormously gratifying success on every level, that when two of the girls asked if we could do another car, I started looking at once.

We needed another simple, small car that would let us work with all aspects of restoration, and, this was very important, something with a really high “cute factor.” These are, after all, 13 to 18 year girls, although if I had suggested a AA fuel dragster (am I dating myself here?) at least two of them would have jumped at it.

In one of those catch-up phone calls an old friend mentioned that his father-in-law had given them a 57 Isetta cabriolet that had been sitting (dead) in his garage since December of 1974. My wife and I drove to Wyoming in a borrowed pick-up, and upon our return, Team Isetta was born. So far our team has three girls and two boys, with another former Sprite girl probably signing on. Because of the wide spread in ages, 13 to 18, we decided to make the class an honors project with the kids meeting after school and through the summer as well. That allows us more flexible hours and assures the commitment of the applicants. The after-school classes will continue throughout the following school year.

This class, like the Team Sprite class, will be a restoration project, but this time they want to try for a show quality car. If you look at the bugeye site, you’ll see the kind of work they were able to accomplish, I feel confident they can do it again. We had an incredible amount of support throughout the Sprite project (look at the Sponsors and Miracle Workers pages), and that was probably the most important life lesson for the kids, the kindness of strangers in a world where kindness doesn’t usually make the press.

Well, I’ve waffled on here long enough. We’ve put up a site, and by next weekend should have some progress to show.

If you have any comments, or, hopefully, words of advice, please click the “contact us” button. I am definitely not a mechanic, but I love finding projects that light the kids up and I can usually manage to stay just a few steps ahead of them. I look forward to meeting (in print or in person) all of you.

Brian Powers
Living Wisdom School
Nevada City, Calif. 95959

https://www.morethanthecar.com/

Last edited:
Hi, Brian -

We followed Team Sprite with interest, and I know this one will be as successful.

Check out Lane Motor Museum:

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

They have quite an assortment of microcars, and I'm sure they've plenty of info on the Isetta.

Mickey

Glad to see the project up and running again, Brian.
There's a club in the Bay Area, (I think it's "The Arcane Auto Club"), that may be a source of support.
Keep us posted, and I'll check in at your site periodically.
Best of luck,
Jeff

This is great news! Looking forward to progress reports, parts ferreting 'missions', et al!

Congrats, Brian. I think you've begun to develop a real learning tool for a bunch of VERY lucky young folks.

Keep us up on the way things are going, and don't discount the possibility that some here may have a passing familiarity with whatever you're involved in. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I followed the previous restoration. This is a great service you're doing to the hobby and to the students working under your guidance. Kudos to you, sir! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good luck with the project, and keep us informed. You're doing good work out there.

Brian, you are to be commended. How nice it is to see youngsters involved in restoring classic cars.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the Isettas were built in the UK....

The cabriolet is a rare beast, I have never seen one, and Isettas used to be fairly common over in the UK when I was growing up.

Hello Steve,
Iso built them in Spain and Belgiun, licensed the car to Isetta Automobiles of Brazil, and to VELAM in France. BMW was licensed to build them in Germany. The BMW cars were vastly improved over the original Iso. In 1957 BMW licensed Isetta of Great Britan to build them in Brighton, but they didn't really catch on until they introduced the 3 wheel model. These skirted high auto taxes and allowed for motorcycle license to be used, from then on GB exported their four wheel models to Australia, NZ and Canada. Most US cars were manufactured in Germany. The estimates of cars imported into the US is around 8500, and I haven't ever seen a cabriolet count.
Brian

Last edited:
Congrats to you and your kids for starting up another school project (and a neat one, at that!).
It will really help to shape their outlook on many things in life.....teamwork, cooperation, negotiation, analysis, and many other skills.
I have former students (now, really they are friends) who *still* talk about the Formula Vee we built in my class 25 years ago.
It'll be fun to watch your progress.

Brian

This is great, I was hoping your team would continue.

Patrick

I have been anxiously awaiting the next project, Brian, and I am glad to see you aboard the BCF again to keep us posted!! I am sure I am not the only one here who will be following your progress /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Well, tomorrow will be our first auto restoration class, I've been chomping at the bit to get started, but have managed to restrain myself. In preparation, I spent a few hours this afternoon looking over the car and made a chilling discovery: I may have inadvertently uncovered a terrorist lab where a massive quantity of Hantavirus (mouse poop disease) is being cultivated. Where they (the terrorists) slipped up was in trying to stockpile an amount far in excess of what an entire nation of mice could poop out in the fifty years since the car rolled off the assembly line. I have tried to notify the proper authorities, but they keep hanging up or threatening to arrest me.
Brian

Last edited:
HooBoi. First class is gonna be in encounter suits and lessons in HazMat proceedures!

Kiddie beach buckets n' shovels, 55 gallon drum of Lysol...

GAH! Good luck with that.

Finely got some photos and new pages up on our site tonight. We’ve only had three classes, and those with just a few kids. School’s only been out a few days, and it’s hard to compete with the Yuba River being just ten minutes away. I should probably post a few pictures of that…..
Brian

Last edited: