• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Intrested in a funny

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Moss catalog page A-5 showes a clasic gold athentic reproduction brake/clutch master cylinder with not only a plastic cap but real bolts holding the top on.

Now we all know the master cylinder in question had a metal cap and screws with a slot for a screw driver holding the top on.

Right, RIGHT, we all knew that didn't we.

LOL

Gesh Mike, sometimes I think I must be as big a pain as my wife tells me I am.

But I just hate that kind of mistakes by "experts". Maybe I should advise Moss of their mistake, LOL.

jlaird said:
Maybe I should advise Moss of their mistake, LOL.

Or you can bark up a tree, spit into the wind, count the grains of sand on the beach, all of which will do the exact same thing.

There is a reason I have been "moss free" since 1989 :smile:

Frank, can you list your favorite supplier's? I'm tired of parts that don't fit or look nothing like the original's. Recently they are the gaskets for the wiper wheel boxes. There is no reason for these not fitting, the cost of tooling is minimal. Also the gaskets under the tail lights are cut from material that is too thick and interfears with fitting the lens. No reason for something this simple to be a problem.

I am also Moss-free, after some inexcusably bad experiences with them. A couple suggestions for alternatives:

1. A lot of parts are generic and can be found in many places. That's where Moss and VB get some of their stuff. Take a look in the Spridgets section of the Wiki, Technical Tips. There's some info on parts. It would be great if other people could add to this.

2. My first priority is always to find a reconditionable, original part. It's almost always better than the modern replacements.

3. You can make a lot of your own parts. I'm not familiar with the gaskets you speak of, but in general, you can get all kinds of gasket material from a parts store, or on line, and make your own. You can even make thin gaskets out of brown grocery-bag paper (if you can still find a paper grocery bag!)

4. There are lots of people here who specialize in reconditioning certain kinds of parts, especially carbs, distributors, hydraulics, and shocks. Give them the business instead of just buying some slapped-together junk from M/VB.

In the end, getting unhooked from the Moss/VB axis will make it a bit more difficult to find things, but when you do, they'll be cheaper and the process of getting them will increase your resourcefulness. That's especially important if, some day, you want to restore a car where you don't have that crutch to lean on.

And, after all, M/VB don't have everything. You'll come up against this fact eventually, if you haven't already.

I agree Steve and I'm leaning more towards fitting good used and making my own parts. The wheel box gaskets are made by me from some thin light weight conveyer belting and the tail light original gaskets were salvageable. I still see no reason why something cut with box cutter dies which are the simplest punch tooling you can come up with can't be made correctly. I mean if you can tool up to make them wrong how much more trouble to make them right and why arn't the buyers insisting on it. I think I'll send those parts back and tell them where they can put them, though, as Frank says, I dought it'll do any good.

Kurt.