• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hummingbirds and Spring

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I'm a long time hummingbird watcher. Living in Pennsylvania, the feeders get filled and positioned each Spring on April 15th. Well today (the 24th) is this year's first sighting and a welcomed return...this one male may just be passing through but soon we'll have plenty to watch.
The video isn't from this year...(just posted for reference).

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic. We love our hummingbirds. Attracted to our tubular flowers e.g. hibiscus, honeysuckle even flowering succulents

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great pics! I have been most unsuccessful in attracting hummingbirds over the past years. I have three feeders and have never had one. Any suggestions for our new home? contents of feeders? how often to change contents etc.

thanks!

OP
3798j

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
...Any suggestions for our new home? contents of feeders? how often to change contents etc.

thanks!
I'm not an authority but we do have good luck attracting them. 4 cups of water brought to a boil then stir in one cup of sugar. Replace the contents in the feeders every 7 to 10 days. I use an 8 feeding hole hanging feeder and 2 "tweeter totters" (test tube feeders). We also have an assortment of flowers and butterfly bushes in the garden.
71Vd6X2ryJL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

414954-450x319.jpg

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Feeders yes, but flowering plants with tubular flowers attract the most reluctant hummingbird and even the occasional imposter moth.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I recall grandfather having Honeysuckle to attract them in western PA. Have not seen the critters here in west central FL though.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks for this all - the previous owner of our place set up the gardens for birds bees and butterflies - so hopefully that will provide a good starting point to add the feeders.