• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Howdy from North Texas and a long lost Cortina

66LotusCortinaTX

Freshman Member
Hello, my name is Steven.

After years as a machinist, bringing British (and other) engines back from the grave, I decided that it would make a better hobby than it did a living. My lovely wife encouraged me, and agreed to the sacrifice and belt tightening required, for me to go back to school to finish my degree. As an employed Engineer now, I plan to upgrade my personal hobby facilities from an overgrown 88-year old gravel driveway and rotting carriage shed, and I can start dragging my tools out of storage.

I have owned my 1966 Cortina Lotus for a long time, but it has been socked away in storage. I almost sold it during my job search, but have decided to take a stab at putting it back on the road. The budget has improved considerably!

I am a big fan of the traditional British specialty cars, like all of the early Lotuses (Loti?), and am currently enamored with the concept of welding up a road car, probably using the mechanicals from a old Toyota or Mazda. Has anyone checked out the Champion Motors site? They have a Lotus Eleven body kit that would sure make a looker of a toy. I don't want a fire-breathing dragon, just something fun and reliable to delight the children (of all ages).

The application asked me how I found this site, and I have no idea. I bookmarked it sometime during my semesters at school and always meant to return. Well here I am.

-Steven

Welcome Steven!

Great ride... Love those old Cortina's, especially a Lotus Cortina even more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It's a friendly bunch around here I think you'll find... And if you haven't discovered it yet, there is an excellent Cortina listserv that you should subscribe to (contact me off-line and I'll get you the info). And hopefully we'll be seeing another Lotus Cortina on the rood soon... or are you planning to make it into a race car?

Welcome Steven!
Congratulations on your degree and new and lucrative career. Hope your hobby doesn't eat up all the new cash flow. Again Welcome and keep us posted on your LBC activities.

Steven - welcome to our group, and congratulations on going back to school. I did the same in mid 40s, and was the most satisfying thing I've done. Check website for Sportscar Warehouse, and look at the events link. There's a gathering on Oct 10 in Grapevine. Be a good chance to get stirred up a little. Look for me, an old coot hovering near a yellowish TR6.

Welcome Steven

Many of us have looked at the Champion site (and the related book that explains how to build a Seven clone for 250 GBP). If you look at the "Lotus Forum" here at BCF, you may see some reference to Champion and others (Stawker, Robin Hood, etc).
...and gotta love the old Cortinas! I owned a new-style 1600 for several years and I occasionally race a similar one these days: it belongs to a buddy of mine (we have a team of "middle-aged backmarkers" with two Sprites and a Cortina). Here's our Cortina at Lime Rock in Spring '04.

cortina_limerock.jpg

Hello, Steven

Now you're not contemplating donating any of your Locort pparts for a Seven clone are you? They are rare enough already.

The people on the list at Cortina-List@lotus-cortina.com are compiling a registry of surviving Lotus Cortinas. (I know you are using correct Ford -Speak in calling it a Cortina Lotus.

Is your Cortina rusty? Are you interested in parting with it?

Welcome aboard!

Hey great, we need more Cortina's on the list ( misery loves company..)

Wait till you start driving it again, then you'll remember why you kept it ( Mine is not a Lotus but I can still relate )

Hi Steven and welcome. Glad to see a Cortina of any kind being put back on the road (track). Had a '67 and when some friends at NASCAR got done, with a little help from Isky it was a screamer. Keep us informed. Wayne