• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB How does driving a mgb compare to midget 1500

Thor

I own a 78 midget and have been offered a mgb that seems to be in pretty good condition. The major problem is I've never driven the mgb so I don't know what isn't like compared to the 1500 midget and this mgb hasn't been started in 4-5 years so its not road worthy.

By the way the mgb is a 63 with a 65 5 bearing motor in it. No rust and has been in dry storage for 20-30 years from what he has told me. He's asking $2000 which I think is a really good deal from what I can tell. He tells me he just wants to give it to someone who likes british cars.

I tried to suggest to my wife that we have both but thats been rejected. She doesn't like riding in the midget as its too small and uncomfortable. I don't have anything really negative to say about it.

So if any of you have driven both and can tell me your thoughts on both I would appreciate it. You know the pros and cons of each? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks

Buy the B, get it roadworthy then sell the Midget....if she doesn't like the Midget, that's a clue....she'll either like the MGB or you'll need a Miata!

I'd forget about the B and keep the Midget. Where did you say it was again? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

My MGBs are great. The Midget's fun, but if all three of my MGs were done, I would get very little "seat time" in the Midget. I'm 5'10', 125 lbs., and the MGB seems like the perfect fit for me. The door armrest is even in the right place!

Jenni says that when we're married, I can have as many MGs as I want, so long as she gets her RHD Frogeye Sprite... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

I've owned the Midget with a 1500 (Nissan) and the MGB-GT and the MGC-GT.

I liken the Midget to riding a motorcycle. It's just plain exhilarating!

The C is like driving a powerful luxury car by comparison.

The B is more luxurious than the Midget, but less power than either.
I know I'm going to hear some flak about that statement, and YMMV of course... But the B is heavier and the 1800 a tad underpowered. The thing is way more comfy compared to the Midget, and that sounds like what your wifey wants, but you are not going to get the same white knuckle feeling as you get with the Midget or with a C.

Now listen - WAF (Wife Approval Factor) is very important to those of us who intend to remain in married bliss. Maybe there is a way to have a his & hers thing - you keep the Midget & she gets the B?

"Honey, look what I bought for you"

Just my humble opinions, FWIW, and all that...

The MGB is more roomy (wider) and more comfortable (less choppy ride on bumpy roads) so your wife may like it. Being an early car it should perform better, in my opinion as a previous 1275 Midget and current 1500 Spitfire owner.

Only potential downside I see is the low windshield of the B means wind in the face if you (or she) are tall. I have to slouch in a B to look through the glass. This may detract from the comfort a little.
Other than that they are great cars.

I have had both the Midget 1500 and still have my B'. Just my biased opinion, but the B is a better running and handling car. The Midget is fun to drive, but can be rather cramped, and slow off the line when compared to a B. The 1500 engines suffered from a crap carb, and lots of emission junk. I like my clean (emission wise) B with proper twin SU carbs.

The earlier Midgets (which I have also had) run much better that the later models.

All just my biased opinion of course.

I agree with the others. I had a '65 Sprite and have had several MGBs. I LOOOVE driving the Sprite (my bro' still has it) because it feels like a go cart and the experience is much more immediate and in your face. In comparison, the MGB is a massive luxoboat. Much more comfortable and roomy, though it feels slower because of its size. I don't mind taking long trips in the MGB, but in the Sprite, 1/2 hour on the freeway and I'm worn out already.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Get the Bugeye in the garage NOW!! Don't wait for marriage...have it finished before the nuptials...believe me on this one!

hmmm Midget to a B? kinda like a speedboat to a barge...

IMHO

running and ducking for cover
mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]hmmm Midget to a B? kinda like a speedboat to a barge...[/QUOTE]

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Mark, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Speedboat to a barge would be Midget to a Triumph! hehehe