• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jaguar Head Stud broken

For articles related to the Jaguar marque
You’ve just discovered there’s water seeping out the top of a head stud & to make life worse the stud has come apart from the base thread, so what are the options – remove the head & tap a thread into the top deck of the block, not the best option – expensive & time consuming, next option is to access the remaining thread via a welsh plug ( freeze plug) you could try & grind flat to drill and tap out the old thread but this again is time consuming & can be expensive & unfortunately some will try re welding – now that’s a real mess.
Don’t despair there is hope with a fix I have done on my own engine (XJ6 S2) & others I call “The sandwich bolt”, this method works when you just need the problem fixed & back driving with a minimum of fuss & expense. Here’s a step by step guide with graphics to repair the problem without removing the cyl/ head....Download the PDF file for full guide ......
head stud broken.jpeg

Attachments

• Broken head stud.pdf
    846.6 KB · Views: 108

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lost me at broken stud, there is no mention o£ removing the old stud, unless i have read it wrong.

OP
XJtom

XJtom

Country flag
The broken stud comes out the top of the head, usually whats left is still screwed in the bottom of the block which is corroded away

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The broken stud comes out the top of the head, usually whats left is still screwed in the bottom of the block which is corroded away
I see so, the original coroded stud is not removed, It stays where it is and you just use a stud and nuts to stop the water comming up the stud,
Surely as you say i£ one stud has rotted away, there is most likely others, this would put extra pressure on the weaker studs either side o£ the broken one.
Please correct me i£ im wrong

OP
XJtom

XJtom

Country flag
how many others are a problem is determined by how much sludge is in the block, the fix is mean to get mobile again with a fix that will provide tension at the head and seal the leak as a normal stud would