• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

For those who remember when a Coke cost a nickel

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I do! And coke in some vending machines cost 6 cents!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We used to go along the beach on Sunday mornings and look for "beach party empties" to turn in for comic book money. The Coke was 10 cents a bottle, the return on the bottles was 2¢.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Didn't Coke also have cocaine when the price was 5 cents?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Coke was a Nickle from 1889 until 1959 for a 6.5 oz bottle. Probably the longest single price for a product ever. Should be a lot of folks out there that remembers a coke being a nickle. :thumbsup2:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And from 1939 ...

"Pepsi-Cola hits the spot. Twelve full ounces that's a lot. Twice as much for a nickel too. "

Nickel nickel nickel nickel pickle pickle pickle pickle

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How many remember the ice-water filled vending machines with the tonic (Boston word) suspended in the water. You put in your nickel and then had to snake the bottle through the guides to the exit point?

439a7cc0274a6d513541bc3270d419e8.jpg

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
How many remember the ice-water filled vending machines with the tonic (Boston word) suspended in the water. You put in your nickel and then had to snake the bottle through the guides to the exit point?
View attachment 97193
That's actually an Ideal 55 soft drink dispenser. Manufactured from the late '40's to the early 60's. Not filled with ice, they were/are refrigerated using Tecumseh compressors.
Here's my 1948 Royal Crown 55. Early ones like this had the soft drink name embossed in the metal. Under the 10 cent coin slot is the original 5 cent. The compressor is still the original and keeps the bottles super cold.
Ideal 55 -2.JPG

Ideal 55.JPG

IMG_4574.jpg

Country flag
I do remember those from when I was a kid, small town boy so the early 60s were a lot like the 50s in that respect. I remember too gumball machines out in front of stores, put in a penny, get a gumball.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That's actually an Ideal 55 soft drink dispenser. Manufactured from the late '40's to the early 60's. Not filled with ice, they were/are refrigerated using Tecumseh compressors.
Here's my 1948 Royal Crown 55. Early ones like this had the soft drink name embossed in the metal. Under the 10 cent coin slot is the original 5 cent. The compressor is still the original and keeps the bottles super cold.View attachment 97196

View attachment 97197

View attachment 97198
I want! That is way cool!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't get one from one of those in Mexico! I did years ago and had the worst case of Montezuma's Revenge ever!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And remember when a pay phone was a dime?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag