• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fast talkers!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - my ears are gettin' old (as is the rest of me ...).

But it seems that media voices talk faster than I can even attempt! I can understand them no problem - but repeating the words as fast as they do - no way.

Are people actually talking faster these days, or am I just becoming unable to speak as fast as I used to? If I hear someone (radio, tv, etc.) speaking, I can't even get close to speaking that fast. Not ads, where they're trying to cram as many words into 15 seconds as possible - but interviews and stories about local and other events.

Thoughts?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have the same problem Tom. I think people ARE talking faster, seems like everyone is in a rush to get their point across. I think if people slowed down a bit they'd live longer! :rolleyes2:

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sort of related... I directed a chutrch choir thirty years ago. I was just forty, and most of the choir members were forty to eighty. I was going over a section and I thought I was giving proper instructions as to the rhythm and words. They , "slow down, we can listen that fast." Now, I'm often thinking the same thing.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The worse thing i find is in modern movies,
What used to be the background music and effects are now in the foreground, the speach of most modern actors is rubbish
I cant understand most of what they are saying, not because i am going deaf, I can turn sound up till the windows rattle and
I still cannot hear the dialog, just the the sound track.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have Tinnitus and the TV volume is ok but anyone with Tinnitus will know, the brain doesn't process sounds as well as if you don't have it. Very hard for someone who has normal hearing to understand the difficulty we have. I have learned to live with it. The scam artist all advertise they have a cure, not so, all BS! Normal talking between me and someone else is ok, it's just the TV movies make me turn on the C Captions on our big screen. Like I said, At 85 I've learned to live with it! o_O

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sort of related... I directed a chutrch choir thirty years ago. I was just forty, and most of the choir members were forty to eighty. I was going over a section and I thought I was giving proper instructions as to the rhythm and words. They , "slow down, we can listen that fast." Now, I'm often thinking the same thing.

I've said the same thing to our Granddaughter,who tends to get wound up
& talks fast.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for posting that. I'd never heard of George Cunningham before, but I have mixed feelings on the Strabane clip. Fast talking for sure! But the guys are protesting social problems. It hurts to hear the laughter.

OK back to my cave.