• Notice: If you're posting to get ride of the little man (we call him Lucas) please post something meaningful. Tell us about yourself and your interest in British cars and/or why you joined BCF. We don't "require" you share anything too personal - just help us get to know about you and your love of little British cars. Also, this New Member's Forum is only to introduce yourself. If you have specific questions about your little British car, please post those in the appropriate marque-related forum.

One last thing - please start a new topic if you're new here rather than replying to a thread another new member has started.

Thanks and welcome to BCF!
    Basil
  • Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Famous Potatoes

IdahoNuke

Freshman Member
Country flag
Greetings from Idaho Falls! I am a new member.

I acquired this barn (literally) find a few years ago. It's a 1957 TR3, number 12772. It was last registered in 1972, and it's pretty rusty. The previous owner is pretty old and doesn't remember much about the car. It was one of many cars, motorcycles and trailers on his property which he abandoned in the early 2000s. As near as I can tell he stopped driving it in the middle of a rear axle swap. The "new" axle is about 5-6 inches too wide and was never connected to the driveshaft, but it has the 4 on 4.5 lug pattern. The car overall is fairly complete, but at the same time pretty far gone. It has some collision damage as well. When I retrieved it, the engine compartment was completely full of rodent droppings. The trunk was about 6-inches deep. I have started disassembling it, but only about 1/4 of the fasteners are operable, the rest are rusted solid. My plan, at the moment, is to restore the body, but replace the powertrain and maybe other important items like brakes, suspension, steering... to end up with a classic-looking but modern car. Feel free to tell me what you think I should do.

Personally, I am 59.5 years old and retiring. I have some knowledge of cars, mainly Hondas, and some fabrication skills, but my body work is pretty sketchy. I am looking forward to sharing and learning from this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 14
welcome, looks like a BIG project. TR3s fetch pretty strong money these days. Still unless you are committed and can do a lot of work yourself I doubt you could restore it economically. Rear axle with 4 X 4.5 could possibly be an MGB axle. Absolutely fascinated though to see what you decide.

Welcome to BCF! Great project you have going! By the way, my wife is from Jerome and we were married in Twin Falls.

welcome, looks like a BIG project. TR3s fetch pretty strong money these days. Still unless you are committed and can do a lot of work yourself I doubt you could restore it economically. Rear axle with 4 X 4.5 could possibly be an MGB axle. Absolutely fascinated though to see what you decide.
Thanks, yes, I am doing it strictly for fun. And it's probably a lifetime project. I thought MGB for the rear axle as well (hose are fairly common around here) but it's sooo wide, so I thought maybe Austin Healey.

Thanks, yes, I am doing it strictly for fun. And it's probably a lifetime project. I thought MGB for the rear axle as well (hose are fairly common around here) but it's sooo wide, so I thought maybe Austin Healey.
here is the axle width for a TR3

seems 43-45 incehes depending on how you measure

MGB - 50-51 inches (Big Healey seems similar)

1716427873143.png

here is the axle width for a TR3

seems 43-45 incehes depending on how you measure

MGB - 50-51 inches (Big Healey seems similar)

View attachment 97796
Nice JP. I think the 45 inch number for the TR3 axle is the width between the axle flanges. With the brakes on, it must be more like 51 or so to the wheel mounting surfaces. Which is close to the MGB. Hard to measure though with all that car in the way, lol.

I was just looking at vehicle widths. (easier numbers to find) And the 3000 Healeys were 60 in wide, versus the 55.5 for the TR3.

I thought a little bit about a replacement axle. Mine was originally one of the Lockheed axles, which I read were problematic. The Girlings were apparently better but are pretty rare in Idaho. I was thinking maybe narrow track Jeep, which are 52 to the WMS. Those are a little more common. And they could handle some additional power. One obvious problem being the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. But it will be some time before I get to that point.

I have a friend who drives a hot AH Sprite. He runs a cut down RX7 rear end and loves it

Back