• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Club Tours to Wineries,Breweries - Your Opinion?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I noticed that our local British car club does drives to wineries .
I'm thinking this could turn out badly if one had too much to drink and
caused an accident.
Your thoughts?

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I noticed that our local British car club does drives to wineries .
I'm thinking this could turn out badly if one had too much to drink and
caused an accident.
Your thoughts?
The Northern Indiana Austin-Healey club held a British Car show at a winery and then a distillery for several years. The Bluegrass Austin-Healey club often makes the Bourbon Trail part of their SpringThing events. I don't recall there being an issue with folks drinking too much at the wineries/distilleries. But I have seen that at the bar/tavern down the street from a car event's hotel. No one driving, thankfully. Several years ago, Southeastern Classic had dinner at the Jack Daniels distillery. Buses were provided to get you to/from.

Scargo

Country flag
If I were an officer in a car club or an individual staging a group drive (which I have done), I would not want to be affiliated with organizing a drive which includes visits to drinking establishments. If an unfortunate driving situation happened that involved personal injury, I would think that such an organizer might be found liable at the hands of a personal injury attorney, regardless of whether or not liability waivers were pre-signed.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Agree with Scargo. And in many states, "liability waivers" don't count for anything. They just make organizers feel good.

DocDup1

Country flag
I agree, in the world today with people spring loaded to filing lawsuits, it is a bad idea. It only takes one guy to sue the club and everything can get very ugly. It is a sad fact that says something about society today.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Regarding liability waivers... We were on Maui years ago riding bikes down Haleakala. We singed that waiver knowing that it was more about everybldy trying to pass the buck. The guide said, "Sign the waiver; if you do anting stupid we an sue you."

We have done a drive to a winery here in Arizona for a number of years. We provide lunch, limit the tasting to a few varieties, and then have a drawing and games after the tasting. The people pouring the wine to taste are careful, so far, a "taste" not several ounces.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Regarding liability waivers... We were on Maui years ago riding bikes down Haleakala. We singed that waiver knowing that it was more about everybldy trying to pass the buck. The guide said, "Sign the waiver; if you do anting stupid we an sue you."

We have done a drive to a winery here in Arizona for a number of years. We provide lunch, limit the tasting to a few varieties, and then have a drawing and games after the tasting. The people pouring the wine to taste are careful, so far, a "taste" not several ounces.
Yes, and many (most?) wineries/breweries/distilleries limit the number of small samples anyone can taste. Remember: they're likely liable these days as well. Litigation always seeks the deepest pockets...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A subject I can't comment on. After getting out of the Navy, I got married and other than a few beers, I haven't drank any wine or whisky since. My wife doesn't drink and never has so I quit! For some reason, I just don't like the taste of it anymore. I'm a coffee drinker instead! :rolleyes2:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A couple of club presidents ago, our local club was known as "A wine club with a driving problem."

We seem to have scaled back the winery visits, partially out of concern about liability, although we do have insurance. Since I've been a member (>30 yrs), we've never had a problem.