• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BSA Lightning/Thunderbolt values?

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
There are 3 BSAs advertised locally, either 1969 or 1971, so all unit construction, and I assume, Oil In Frame models.
I think the Lightnings have twin carbs, and are rarer than the single carb models, please let me know.
Prices are $4,000 to $5,900, which seems expensive compared with the Yamahas and Hondas for half that money.

Can anyone offer opinions?
Thanks, Simon.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
As regards values, old Brit bikes are considered "classic" motorcycles, whereas Japanese iron, even of a similar vintage, will never be worth the same money, providing they are in similar condition.

davelgee

The 71 was the first OIF in the T'bolt/Lightning series, earlier bikes have the oil tanks behind the air cleaner(s).
I am a Thunderbolt fan, as they are about as fast as the Lightnings (and none of them are very fast by current standards) and a lot less trouble to keep in tune.
The Pre-71 bikes have more collector value, but the OIF is a better motorcycle and handles MUCH better IMHO.
Not much to choose from between the T'bolt/Lightning as far as rarity goes, Hornets and Spitfires are another matter.

Just my .02
Dave G.
71 Thunderbolt 'daily driver'