• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprdgets Arkley MG Midget

For articles related to Spridgets
“Winnie” my personal Arkley SS based on a 1971 MG Midget

Arkley 1.jpg
This is Winnie, a 1971 Arkley MG Midget with a John Britten designed front and rear. Only 900 to a 1000 of these kits were sold originally, and very few ended up in the United States.

Besides the custom body work other upgrades include: The 1275cc MG engine was rebuilt and a street cam added; Electronic ignition; Weber 32/36 carb with a new header and exhaust system; a 5-speed Datsun transmission rebuilt by Rivergate; wheels are 13x7 with 185/70R13 tires. Tire pressure in the front is 22 PSI and the rear 24 PSI. The interior was completely redone and a modern radio/speaker system and cigarette lighter plug installed. A center console/storage area/arm rest was also added. The indicator, running, and stop lights use LED bulbs.

I found this car for sale on the MG Experience Forum. I talked to the owner/builder several times and then, with my brother Stephen, made the trip to Wesley Chapel, Florida on November 7, 2021. We picked it up the next day and returned home traveling about 1500 miles over the two days.

The Arkley's 1275cc MG Engine and clean, uncluttered interior:
Arkley engine.jpg
Arkley Interior.jpg

Arkley History

The Arkley was designed by accomplished sports car racer John Britten in 1969 as a fiberglass front and rear body conversion for MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites. The parts would fit every model from the first 1958 Bugeye Sprite to the last 1980 Spitfire powered MG Midget. There were two versions, the “S” with standard wheels and tires and the “SS” with wider wheels and tires. The “SS” was the most popular and the “S” was dropped. Only about 900 to 1000 were produced originally and very few made it to the States.

The fiberglass sections were manufactured by Lenham Motor Company at Harrietsham in Kent who had built the fiberglass bodies Britten had used on the Midgets and Sprites that he used to dominate his class when racing. Conversions were done in Britten’s shop, Arkley Engineering at Arkley in Hertfordshire, and other bodies were sold as DIY kits. The first car was produced in 1970. The influence for the design was the Lotus 7 at the front and the Morgan at the rear. Both were companies that Britten had previously worked for. While some have suggested that the Bugeye (or Frogeye) was the influence for the front clip due to the raised headlights, a look at the front of the Lotus 7 shows where the inspiration came from.

Lotus 7.jpg
Morgan rear.jpg

Lotus 7 front clip Morgan rear end
Originally, they were built to recycle rusting or wrecked MG’s and Sprites. The front fenders and the hood (bonnet) were unbolted and removed. The rear section had to be cut away and the new section bonded on. No structural members were cut and with the loss of over 300 pounds the car was actually stronger and quicker than the original. Many of the kits went on racers and hill climbers so it is unknown how many actually survive.

Peter May, who had worked in the John Britten Garage, founded Peter May Engineering in 1979, and bought the Arkley manufacturing rights from Britten in 1987.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks for the article on the history of Arkley's, and your Arkley! I expect you'll get lots of looks and question when you drive her!

Last edited:
OP
shadowfever

shadowfever

Country flag
I've only run across a couple of other Arkley owners here in the states and they are probably too far away to end up at the same event. Never know though. And I'm happy meeting anyone who loves British cars no matter what they drive.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great story and Arkley history. Thanks!

BTW, Wesley Chapel is literally a stone's throw from me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag