• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Android phone users?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Running Android 11. Some apps are slow to run, and often get "stuck".

I tapped Settings/System and see "Update Available". Tapped Update, then got "System Update Installing". Update size 153MB.

That was six hours ago, and it still says "System Update Installing" 153 MB.

Googling "android update" says it should take up to 30 minutes.

Does this sound right? Is there something I'm missing? Am I just terminally impatient? (No wonder I'm still running Android 11!)

yeesh

Thanks.
Tom M.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I've never had an update that long. Usually about 10 minutes. You may have jumped an update that was needed for the current update. Meaning the most recent update hangs on a missing dependancy.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Greg. I've had this phone for about six months. Never got an "update is ready" notification, so I never checked Settings for update status.

Today I checked Settings, and saw the Update is available. Started it up, and after six hours it was still running. Following the Android help site, I restarted the o/s. All was fine, so I figured the update was finished. Went to Settings/Update - and saw "update is ready". Started the update, and back to where I started. Lather, rinse, repeat.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
After years of being android, i had a couple of phones that flatly refused to update, Google dont send the update directly to the phone,
it always comes via the phone manufacturer, I found Samsung was always the most reliable for updates, there are too many various makes of android phones for google to make the updates work on all of them.
google tends to to favour the pixle phones for obvious reasons,
At least with an iphone the updates come direct from apple.
but i do prefer android over apple.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'll second Mezy. I'm on my second Samsung, and I am not looking back. They easily make the best smart phone I've used, and when it comes to issues like updates, they are routinely pushing them out.

Tom, what brand of phone did you get?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Moved up to an S23 and love the new camera.
My old S10 was slowing down (too full) and the battery life was getting poor. All is well now.
Fun feature with photo editing is deleting stuff (people?) you don't want in the photo. :smile:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Moved up to an S23 and love the new camera.
My old S10 was slowing down (too full) and the battery life was getting poor. All is well now.
Fun feature with photo editing is deleting stuff (people?) you don't want in the photo. :smile:
Now you can be just like Stalin.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Walt - it's a Blu 131DL. Came with my cell service plan.
I have never heard of that one, and after looking it up I couldn't find out much. What are your options in the "software update" section of your "settings" menu. Can you set it to auto update, or scheduled updates?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The wife just bought a new folding iPhone and it's pretty cool! Kind of heavy for it's size but very powerful and of course, it has to look attractive! :thumbsup2: No I don't want one. Oops, sorry I made a mistake, the wifes new phone is a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 256GB. I was corrected a few minutes ago! :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I have never heard of that one, and after looking it up I couldn't find out much. What are your options in the "software update" section of your "settings" menu. Can you set it to auto update, or scheduled updates?

Thanks Walt. It's already set to auto update. Other apps do that, but the o/s hasn't ever updated (now still on Android 11).

My next step: full reset, to the complete system when new.

gulp

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good luck Tom.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Success! Doing a full system reset installation seems to have brought back the apps that were hanging up.

Funny how it had just been doing "weird" things - constantly rotating "in process" arrows, "No GPS" and "Can't connect with Google" messages. One of the most frustrating was an app freezing with "Oops - something went wrong".

That's a big help ...

Anyway, tomorrow will be the "acid test" as my dad used to say. Will take it for a drive and see how Waze and Google Maps behave.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Success! Doing a full system reset installation seems to have brought back the apps that were hanging up.

Funny how it had just been doing "weird" things - constantly rotating "in process" arrows, "No GPS" and "Can't connect with Google" messages. One of the most frustrating was an app freezing with "Oops - something went wrong".

That's a big help ...

Anyway, tomorrow will be the "acid test" as my dad used to say. Will take it for a drive and see how Waze and Google Maps behave.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Tom M.
And if it doesn't work, it was great knowing you. :bananawave:

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Android 11 ??? wow that is kind of old. Now that you updated, is it still android 11?

Because of problems with updating, and phone companies not keeping security issues up to date, Google has been moving more and more parts of the OS to systems they can directly update - this is a very important step in the correct direction. Most updates just happen in the background. Usually you cant even tell that something has been update -even when you can t
I also get a "monthly" update every couple of months. Mostly just security updates, occasionally major updates to OS and user interface.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Yisroel. It's still Android 11 (which I'd expect, as it was a "system reset").

That's an interesting point - how do you know when something is updated? The only clue I have is in Settings, when it says "Update available". There's no notification about it - you hae to go to Settings/Advanced/System/Updates to see the "Update Available".

Ah the wonders of incredibly complicated systems ...

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Forgot - the system setting shows "update available" again. I'm afraid to do the update!
Since those updates should include a bunch of security updates you probably should...
By the way after the system re-set did it actually show an upgraded version #?
I suggest you record the current system version and then try. hopefully is will show a new system version after they upgrade.
You have already figured out how to force re-set in any case.