• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

And you think YOU have had a bad day?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Now that I've recovered from cry-laughing, I can't help thinking about the subject of the original thread (mounting a coil on its side).

Amazing how many "old timers" insist that it's a recipe for disaster despite the fact that Ford, GM, and Chrysler have all mounted coils horizontally over the years.

The oil-filled vs epoxy-filled argument seems to make logical sense, except that during the eras that the Big 3 were doing it, oil-filled (or even asphalt-filled) coils were still standard.

If the "old-timers" claims are to be believed, most of those new cars would have died on the drive home from the dealer. They'd have been replacing ignition coils weekly.

I can certainly understand the once-bitten, twice-shy attitude, but still... hundreds of thousands of examples of it working just fine, or half a dozen guys who claim it never ever works?

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Yes, that's exactly what I was researching when I came across this.

The only plausible reason for mounting a coil a particular way is the one involving cooling--the claim that an air bubble in the oil will be between the coil and the side of its case when it is horizontal, and that might restrict cooling somewhat. Still, I doubt that anyone would make an oil-filled coil with a large void. No need for it and it would not make sense. So, I don't worry about it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe only a problem if you also use a FRAM filter also.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Researching my reply I found patent applications for various coil designs, all of which stated in no uncertain terms that the cannister was to be COMPLETELY filled -- not partially, not mostly, not leaving a pocket for expansion -- COMPLETELY. If you pick up an oil-filled coil and shake it, and it sloshes, it's junk already!

On my '39 Chrysler, the factory coil is mounted sideways, poking through the firewall! As in, there's a coil-sized round hole in the firewall, grommet, insert coil with wire end facing engine and the plain end tucked away. It looks like a bizarro hunting trophy. I wonder if that was an attempt to keep it cool.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Worst experience i have had with a coil was when a car came into the workshop for poor starting and rough running.
so imagine i have my head under the bonnet, my workmate sitting in the car,
he turns it over on the key, little attempt to start, that was about it, bit i did notice a little click coming fom the back of the enine bay
everytime he either turned on or off the ignition, no relays on this thing it was too old.
So leaning over the engine so i could see the coil, fair enough every time he turned the ignition on or off there was a darn good spark
comming from under the HT lead rubber boot which reached the side of the can.
so i shouted hang on a minute i gotta check something, and without thinking he turned the ignition off just as i grabbed said rubber boot
on the HT lead, resulting in one heck of kick, as i sprang back i hit my head on the bonnet, hard enough to lift the bonnet stay out of its pocket resulting in the bonnet dropping on both my arms as i retreated backwards, the darn bonnet scraped the skin down the back of both my forearms, There was a few choice words flying around the workshop, my mate was just rolling on the floor crying cos he was laughing so hard,
were still best of mates now,

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
airport in vienna.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
In 1986 Canada was playing Honduras for a slot in the Soccer World Cup. The game was held in St John's Newfoundland. A group of Honduran fans came to watch the game and support their team. Unfortunately they flew to St John New Brunswick. The citizens of St John heard of their plight and fixed them up with a bar and a big screen TV so they could at least watch.

Canada won the game. Apparantly it is not unusual for the location for such games to be determined to advantage the home team and disadvantage the visitors. At kickoff the temperature was 11 deg C (51F) and cloudy - this for a team from the Honduras.