• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ah the English language

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And Dick Smothers was a really big car guy,even had a column
in Car & Driver.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I wasn't aware of the C&D column, but here's Tommy at an F5000 race at Road America:

RAThrowbackThursday1970DSmothers.jpg

That is Tommy, right? I was too young to see them on TV so I don't remember who is which.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I blame my confusion on Laugh-In reruns. I'm used to "Dick" (Martin) acting the goof and "not-Dick" (Dan Rowan) being the straight man.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That video is just so glorious, right up until it isn't. In an instant I went from being so sad that I hung up my helmet to being so happy that I won't ever put on my Broken Racecar Hat ever again.

That moment when "this lap is shaping up to be a personal best" turns into "aw $#!T not AGAIN!" -- I've had my fill.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul wanted us to see that particular video because it shows off one of us Okies that did alright for himself.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Paul wanted us to see that particular video because it shows off one of us Okies that did alright for himself.
At first I thought you were talking about Dick Smothers, but upon looking him up, I saw he was born in New York City. Then I realized it was James Garner you were referring to. As I was looking up Dick Smothers, however, I did see that he and Tommy's father was dies as a Japanese POW in 1945.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
At first I thought you were talking about Dick Smothers, but upon looking him up, I saw he was born in New York City. Then I realized it was James Garner you were referring to. As I was looking up Dick Smothers, however, I did see that he and Tommy's father was dies as a Japanese POW in 1945.
His Oklahoma roots is why Garner was so affable.

Growing up my dad had a friend who was in the Phillipines when they fell and survived the Bataan Death March and internment. He had some serious demons that he had to live with.