• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A really dumb problem

edothas

Freshman Member
This is kind of embarassing, but... It's time to replace/upgrade the rear suspension on my 72B, and I find that it's impossible to remove one knockoff. It's been bathed in anti-sieze daily for 3 or 4 weeks now, and i have a 3.5 foot monkey wrench (and some really big friends who love the chance to call me wimpy), but nothing seems to do much. I've even contemplated using the blowtorch and a candle, but i can't afford to ruin the wheel or the hub. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dumb answer but are ya hitten her the right way? According to the arrows on the knock off?

How hard have you actually bashed it with a hammer. Hard to believe it is really that tight. I would stay away from heat until the absolute last resort. Presuure with a long wrench does not work as well as a really hard shock with a hammer. A hard hit on the end of the long wrench is good but can send the wrench flying. Any way to coordinate hitting both knockoff ears at the same time?

Have you tried pouring melted wax inside the hub?

Well, the wrench ends up really close to the body, but I used a 7 pound sledge... makes me cringe just thinking about it. I *think* I hit it plenty hard enough, especially since the other 3 were less than no problem. Oh, and the knockoff is a hexagonal style, don't know if it makes a difference.

Oh, ah, melted wax was my best friend while removing the front suspension. I just can't figure out how to get it into the hub with everything still on the car.

Sorry - wasn't thinking of hex knockoffs. Makes it a bit harder for sure.

Not sure if it would help but instead of a torch would a really high powered heat gun do anything? At least you would not have a flame which for sure would ruin something.

What is the melted wax trick? New to me.

It may well be drastic; however, have you thought about drilling a 1/4" or larger hole in the knock off so you can pour wax down in it?

What I did with the suspension was break out the propane torch and heat up the seized parts while dripping a candle over the nasty spot. For really tough spots, hold the flame to the metal until the wax boils for about 2 minutes. Then I left it overnight, and viola! freed bolts, nuts, or whatever. It also removed rust like nobody's business. (bearing in mind that I was reckless, since most of it was being replaced...) The only thing I destroyed with this technique were some useless bushings, but I'd be careful about the threads on smaller bolts.

As far as using a heat gun, I think heat would be an enemy, considering these are the original wheels... but if this drags out much longer, I'll have the money for the new ones. (I'll be doing at least a head gasket on the engine)
It's almost tempting to grind the outside of the knockoff off, pull the wheel, and figure out how to then remove the rest of it from the hub.

-on second thought, drilling a hole is a better idea. Thanks!

Before you go drilling a hole why don't you see how far you can get with just a CANDLE and wax instead of a torch. Slow and steady but it might just get enough to work in there to help you free it up.

Do you have enough room to get a breaker bar on the wrench?

I'd be breaking out a 10 foot section of galvanized fence post at this point for a breaker bar. Cover the side of the car with pillows and blankets or a thick foam pad in case it pops free and dinks up your paint.

Mechanical advantage is your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another option is cutting the knockoff in half so it just falls away from the wheel - they're less than $50 apiece.

That's pretty much what David Kiehna's dad had to do on one a year or two ago. He tried everything to get it loose, and it wouldn't come off. As I recall, he didn't actually have to cut it in half, but he cut one (or maybe two ) slots across it and that allowed it to release enough to be unscrewed...

From reading this thread, am I to guess that melted was seeps into threads like a lubricatant? That's a new I've not heard yet.

"wicks". Even through rust.

'nother en"light"ening tip.

I've a feeling Vince is a "sleeper" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You have two problems.
1) Your really big friends calling you wimpy
2) The stuck knockoff.

Best solution is to have your really big friends come over and try to remove the knockoff.
If they succeed, that problem is solved.
If not, they can no longer call you wimpy.

LOL

Mike

Whattya mean sleeper? I sleep just fine and then I'm awake the rest of the time.

yer a real punny guy!