• Hi Guest!
    I don't require that you become a subscribing member - you can enjoy most of what BCF has to offer for free. However, it does cost us to operate this resource and a lot of time and effort goes into running BCF smoothly.
    If you enjoy and benefit from this site, please consider supporting our efforts with a subscription. There are some perks with an upgrade!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Welder Choices?

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would like to buy a welder. Probably would not be interested in a TIG or learning a Stick welder. Would like not to spend too much money. I am 70 and have a MGA and a Triumph TR250 left to restore. I will need to weld sills, battery trays, and floorboards etc. Little other use other than mower decks and such. I would like to buy a flux core so I don't have to fool with gas cylinders. So here are my questions: Are flux welders good enough to do good work now? Who makes a decent one (preferably USA made)? Will I regret getting a flux core for my limited use and wish I had bought a MIG? Thanks Bruce

Hobart MVP210 MIG welder. Not expensive, does a good job and is dual voltage. I use a small gas 75/25 mix. Bought it a few years back for metal sculptures but works great on my 77B. My 2 cents:smile:

So Flux core welding is harder? Not as good a weld? I only have limited use for one was hoping to hear Flux core would do the job. Bruce

I have heard - but please do not believe everything you read on the internet, and I have only experience with gas - that flux core results in a messier weld, ie more time to clean afterwards.

Basis this I bought a gas MIG from Hobart. Gas bottles require decent initial investment - regulator and bottle - but are cheap to refill.

So Flux core welding is harder? Not as good a weld? I only have limited use for one was hoping to hear Flux core would do the job. Bruce
Not really harder, but messier. I did it for a few months before getting the gas. You can purchase an inexpensive small 20lb cylinder or just go flux core. They both will do the job.

Although MIG machines will generally I think run flux core ) mine does), the two processes are not the same thing. Sheet metal needs MIG. Lincoln, Hobart, Miller are good, but made in factories in many countries. I would buy quality.
Bob

I am looking at a Mig/Flux 140 that Eastwood has. It is capable of 3/16" and priced decently. They have a tech line as well. It is Chinese made but all reviews (whatever they are worth) are good. I probably need to just bite the bullet and put a little more $$$ into it and get a gas bottle. This machine would allow both so I am covered if flux doesn't satisfy me. Seem from above most are more satisfied with MIG so that is why I asked and will not ignore all of your advice. Bruce