• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Dashpots not synchronized

Carlbanan56

Country flag
Hi, I am wondering how I can get my dashpots on my HIF4 CU carburetors to be synchronized. The front carbs dashpot is much harder to lift and drops quite a bit slower than the rear. On top of this, the rear dashpot has a lot more free play. I thought this might have been a result of mix-up pistons. But after switching them the rear dashpot still has a lot more freeplay. Could this be a result of an old spring or damper? Does any of this matter? I am young and inexperienced, could I please get some advice on this, all answers are appreciated.

The car is an MGB from 1975 that has not been used since 1994.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
have you removed clean and put back the pistons and used fresh oil in them, not sure what oil is advised or available where you are

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If the jet in the body of the front one is not centered, the needle may be dragging on it.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If the jet in the body of the front one is not centered, the needle may be dragging on it.
I had to do just that on my MGB last summer. Easy to adjust, made a real difference.