• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

computer password question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mrs. JP is working with a volunteer organization. What they are wanting to do is have everyone change their passwords (officers have emails that pass on 'president@ treasurer@ ) as well as website password etc etc. They now want to keep all the passwords in a safe place. The bylaws saw the president and VP keep the list but as people change their passwords some are concerned that even emailling the new ones to the prez is not secure. Is there an app or someway to store them securely? I know I use a password manager but this would be a password manager that would allow for various inputs. thoughts?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Would be good if the volunteer organization will accept liability for all the members if password(s) are stolen or accounts are hacked.
Thanks, and that is actually the concern, not so much that they accept liability (which they would) but that they be found liable - which they don't want to be. (and to be clear this is all premptive)

:cheers:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A number of password managers allow a team to share the same password store, useful for the passwords that need to be known to the whole team.

In general, though, sharing your email password with any other person is a real risk. While I can reset passwords for anyone at my district, I can't look them up. One risk is that if I could, I could send something inappropriate from someone else's email without anyone being able to tell who actually sent it. Just a thing to contemplate.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As a followup to Drew's warnings about "a shared password" ... Yesterday I was working with some 20-somethings. We got into the prevalence of social media, group chats, messenger services, etc.

I learned that many of those things allow users to send (privately?) personal information, ssn's, payment service logins, etc. to each other. I asked "Aren't you worried about that personal info becoming public on the 'net?"

Response: "It's out there already - why should I worry about security now?"

yikes

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I keep receiving emails from one of those internet security companies that my wife's email and phone number is on the dark web. Ooooo, scary! Considering that she was a Realtor for 20 years advertising for business using that email and phone number, I'm not sure of the hazard.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Any delicate personel information i need to send to people i trust I allways use Whatsapp, It is end to end encripted,
you know it has been received and when it has been read,
Groups can be set up so that one sender is received by all members in the group.