• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boring comparison

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd argue the Webb telescope and landing on a comet hurling through space. Helicopters on Mars anyone?
Oh I agree helicopters on Mars are exciting.

But as part of my job, I work with lots of young engineers from very good engineering programs - and many of them have great potential --- what I don't see is the excitement for space programs, or engines or... a lot of the stuff we were excited about growing up. There is interest in AI, machine learning, all sorts of software related stuff (but NOT actual coding)
Just my perspective with 30 years in engineering and working with many recent grads over the years and seeing how they develop. Maybe if I was at an aviation related company I would have a different feeling but these are the younger engineers I am working with.

Country flag
I see the same with young coders, no real curiosity for how things work or why it performs the way it does when they do different things. No one looks things up or researches, just write the code down and toss it over the wall if it doesn't do what they think it should. I'm like a school teacher most days saying "you have to understand how elements work" and "did you look it up?". I over my career have wanted to know the "why" when I didn't get want I expected, today's don't seem to care.

Country flag
I see the same with young coders, no real curiosity for how things work or why it performs the way it does when they do different things. No one looks things up or researches, just write the code down and toss it over the wall if it doesn't do what they think it should. I'm like a school teacher most days saying "you have to understand how elements work" and "did you look it up?". I over my career have wanted to know the "why" when I didn't get want I expected, today's don't seem to care.
I'm of similar mind in my work. It's easy to look at a challenge and tell me why I can't. I look at a challenge and want to know how I can.