• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone see the CBS news report on electric vintage cars tonight, 4/6??

Country flag
They did a report on a British company that is preparing to sell kits to replace gas engines in vintage cars with electric. Showed driving a series 2 it appeared E-type. Another couple Es in the shop along with Porsche and other cars. Made the remark that it was part of the end of the gas powered era and the hope of getting younger folks interested in the cars. Roll of the dice I think, many young folks I've met aren't interested in then regardless of what powers them. But I'd morn the loss of those straight 6s and 4s, boxer type flats and such.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
There are always exceptions, but most young folks I know either can't - or won't - get involved with "mechanical" things. Their future is digital (sad to say). Punching buttons and swiping their "notifications" - that's their life today.

Really got to me when I learned towns here in New England are digitizing their town records (centuries old maps, letters, deeds, etc.) -

- and D E S T R O Y I N G the originals!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Our Son (a Commander in the US Navy) told me that they're
getting rid of all of the paper maps on their ships.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for sharing - I did not see this but will try to find it in the interwebs. My opinion, as long as the rebuilds are reversable or done to cars that can't realistically be saved, I'm OK with the electric changeover.

It's not my cup of tea... but neither are hot rods, and arguabaly changing motors is one of the core facets of hot-rodding. (And I think the craftsmanship on some hot rods is beyond incredible!) If it gets more folks in the hobby, yay! My initial forays into old mechanical things (cars, scooters, old engines, etc.) usually involved me trying to make them better... until I got old(-er :smile:) and wiser and realized that the folks who designed them knew what they were doing!

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I saw it and was madly interested. Then at the end he hopped in a Corvette and fired it up. Love the sound of a V8.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was wondering - will anyone watch a NASCAR race, after the switch to EV racers?

Hamish Racing

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have had a few series of these classic car electric conversions.

program called “Vintage Voltage”

typically very sound cars that require very little resto filleted with - I believe second hand Tesla motors and battery packs.
very much focussed on where to put the batteries !!

expensive conversions many tens thousands ÂŁ

so catering for a “type” of owner.

i guess could be driven by our continued pollution charging for driving in our capitol and other cities.

though-many classics are exempt

Seen to be green ?