• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 69 TR-6

OldGuy51

Freshman Member
Country flag
Again I feel like an ass with this being my first Triumph. I went about installing a spin on oil filter adapter. Went to start the car to check for leaks. Crank no start. Not even trying to start. Looked up how to meter a coil. All parts are weeks new. Coil,wires, distributor . Put old (Removed) coil back in. Nothing. The only other thing I did was remove the steering shaft for room to install the spin on oil filter. Might I dare say they grounded the motor through the steering shaft ? Is that even possible. Although the horn stopped working also. Also , the glass fuses on the driver fenderwall. Where do you find such high amperage fuses. Thanks In advance OG

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don’t know about the no start, but: you should have a ground cable on the front of the engine, steering shaft side. The horn grounds through the shaft.

As I recall, British fuses are approx half the rating of standard “American” fuses. Don’t just substitute your readily available BUSS fuses.

Lots of info here in the search archives.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a just a few of our parts suppliers catalogs:

A wiring schematic:
AND ...something you will need and be glad you have it...or find yourself in the situation where you just wished you had it:

Tr6easyrider

Country flag
OldGuy
This is the original configuration for a tr6 grd strap. Battery to body to motor. If you don't have the body grounded, it will look for a path and that is usual though the choke cable. When you removed the steering shaft did you attach the grd strap the correct way through the rubber coupler for the horn. Check the braided wire inside the distributor going to the coil.

Attachments

• 6-23-2017 6955 (Small).jpeg
    6-23-2017 6955 (Small).jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
O

OldGuy51

Freshman Member
Country flag
So up to this point . By replacing the steering shaft the horn has returned. I still have , crank no start. Can someone post a picture of their coil wiring. I have three wires , Red from coil, Blk from coil , yellow-ish or white in a blk sleeve from harness that is secured to the back of the alt. This becomes 12 Volts when key is in run. Thanks OG

Tr6easyrider

Country flag

skootch13

Freshman Member
Country flag
Red wire and black wire from coil to the distributor. Sounds like you may have a Petronix electronic ignition installed. if so, did you leave the key on for a few minutes with the car not running? That has been known to ruin a Petronix.

Posting pictures of your coil, distributor and inside the distributor would be great.